Although swimming is considered a luxurious activity, it has a number of health benefits. From working out to cooling off your body during hot weather, swimming is necessary to have at home. It’s also a real treat to keep your kids busy during school holidays. As a result, many home owners are doing everything possible to have swimming pools in their backyard. There are two types of swimming pools to install at home. On our page today, we are going to break down above ground swimming pool.
So what is an above ground pool? In simpler terms, this is a freestanding structure that is so easy to install, inflate, pump in water and take down when not in use. It is relatively cheaper, comes in different shapes, sizes and materials. If you yearn to have this type of swimming pool in your yard but have no idea of its benefits, shortcomings, features, size, and the right model to consider, we have discussed that for you. We have also highlighted some of the best places to buy it and financial companies that would help you lease it in case your pocket is strained. Therefore, ride with us!
Advantages And Disadvantages of Above Ground Pool
Perhaps you need an above ground pool in your yard but having doubts on whether it is worth a try. In most cases, in order to entice you to buy their products, salesman avoids telling about both sides of a coin and only concentrate on the positive side of a coin. So, watch out! It is important to know both the positive and negative sides of these types of pools before plunking down your hard-earned money. Here are their pros and cons:
- They are affordable : The price difference between an in-ground and above ground pool is incomparable. Although above ground pools are not as cheap, their prices range from hundreds to few thousand dollars making them relatively cheaper to in-ground pools that normally cost a bunch of thousand dollars. These pools are not only cheap to buy and install, but are also free from tax due to their temporary fixtures. Therefore, their final bill is relatively less.
- They are easy to install and uninstall : This is another factor that makes above ground pool better than in-ground pool. To install these pools, you need no digging, no leveling and no cementing whatsoever. Also, no professional assistance needed. You can DIY it thus less tedious, less time consuming and less financial investment while installing and removing it.
- Easy to maintain and safer to use : Unlike in-ground pools that are dug in the ground, above ground pools are elevated off the ground thus less prone to dirt and crawling bugs. This makes them safer and easy to maintain. They are also smaller in size thus easy to clean and repair in case of any damage.
- They are easy to move : While structured off the ground, these pools are easy to dismantle, move and install somewhere else without destroying your yard.
- Broad designs to select : Above ground pools are available in different shapes, sizes and materials to choose as per your need. That means, they give you full control over the cost, layout and outlook of your pool.
- Cost difference : Although above ground pools are relatively cheaper to in-ground pools, these pools are expensive in their own ways. I mean, to purchase, you need thousands of dollars approximately $1500 to $6000 that is not affordable to everyone.
- Additional cost : Besides purchasing cost, above ground pools comes with other additional costs on fencing. Since you can’t leave your pool open and unattended to protect your kids and pets, it is required to fence them for optimal safely. Also, some above ground pools kit don’t come with accessories like pool cover or vacuum cleaner thus a need to purchase them. This incurs additional cost.
- No added value : Since they are temporal structures, above ground pools does not add any resale value to your home. This is unlike in-ground pools that increase your home value during resale.
Types of Above Ground Pool
Above ground pools design with different materials, costs, and of course sizes. Sizing includes the dimensions and shape of the fool. Basically, there are four different types of above ground pools. These are;
1. Inflated Above Ground Pool
These are currently the most common types of above ground pools that are extremely easy to install and takedown. In recent years, these types of pools got an utmost upgrade from majoring only with toddlers to adult size making them more popular. Below are other features that make this type of above ground pool a friend to many.
They are extremely easy to set up. The process entails leveling your ground or better still placing a tarp on the ground to protect your pool from any rocks or sharp objects. Next, fill up your inflatable pool with air to blow it up, take your hose pipe and fill in water.
Besides, they are commonly made of strong and rigid vinyl materials that make it puncture resistant and an inflatable ring on the top that accommodates and holds the pool in shape. Its walls are robust and laminated PVC materials to hold on to water immensely without a burst. These materials also help to prolong the pool’s lifespan.
Size : There are different models of inflatable above ground pools with different dimensions and shapes. More often than not, these pools can expand up to 48-inch depth and 18-inch width. As far as shape is concerned, different models are also shaped differently; rectangular, circle, oval, and heart-shaped among others.
- Easy to inflate, pump in water and take down.
- They are safe for kids as most of them are shallow.
- They are the least expensive.
- Pool walls are not as strong thus easy to tear.
2. Steel Frame Above Ground Pool
This type of above ground pool comes with metal steel frame on the walls. It is also made of a top rail and upright bracing which are assembled together to form a complete pool. Once assembled, you can now fill water inside your pool.
In addition, it has strong metal frame that allows it to hold more depth and volume of water and durable PVC or resin materials on the bottom to add on strength.
Size : Similar to inflated pools, steel frame pools are available in different sizes and shapes. However, they mostly expand up to 22 inches in width and 52 inches in depth. They are also available in rectangular, round, and oval shapes among others.
- Strong and durable compared to inflated pools
- They hold deep waters
- They are easy to install
- Prone to rust especially when left out during winter.
3. Traditional Above Ground Pool
These are structured in a permanent-looking design that features metal frames, resin frames, or hybrid combination of both metal and resin frames. They also consist of upright posts and a top ledge to give sufficient support to the pool’s walls.
Note that unlike other types of pool, this one is different in that its wall and liner are two distinct materials. Its wall is made of metal while the liner is made of different materials based on the thickness and pattern of the pool.
Size : Standard traditional above ground pool is made to extend up to 36 inches width and 54inches depth. They have a variety of shapes but are commonly available in oval or circular shapes.
- Easy to install, uninstall and moves.
- This pool are long term when maintained well.
- They can stay installed for long with no need to reassemble each season.
- They are weather/season resistant.
- There is a site preparation required before installing it.
- Law permit on some areas are required because of their permanency nature.
4. Semi In-Ground Pool
Also termed as radiant pools, semi in-ground pools draw the line between an in-ground and above the ground pool. In other terms, they look more than an in-ground pool but are buried partially in the ground with its top part raised above the ground, unlike their counterparts that has everything buried in the ground. Also, they are cheaper and easy to install compared to in-ground pools.
This type of pool also features different wall materials ranging from bricks, stones, glass, or even concrete. These walls are strongly insulated to have a firm hold on the ground.
Sizes : Like other types, semi- in ground above pools are also available in different shapes and dimensions. However, the bigger the pool the higher the cost of installation. Some pools are available in 16 feet width and 32 feet long while the largest pool is estimated to extend up to 20 by 40 feet. They are mostly available in circle or oval shapes.
- Made of robust and durable walls.
- Looks more permanent and appealing..
- Can withstand all seasons with no need to dissemble now and then.
- Most expensive above ground pols.
- They take time to prepare and install.
Which Type And Size Of Above Ground Pool Is Best For My Backyard ?
The size, layout, and landforms in your backyard should determine your ideal type and size of the above ground pool. Also, the number of users should have a key determinant. More often than not, above ground pools require extra space for expansion. Therefore, your right size of above ground pool should perfectly fit in your yard with an extra 4 to 5 inches of space.
Your right type and size of above ground pool should also be determined by your family size and purpose. If you need a pool to just cool off, a small, round pool is ideal for your backyard. If you need it for exercise laps, a larger, rectangular/oval pool with 30-foot minimum is ideal for you. And if you have smaller family of less than 6 users, 16 by 32 foot pool is ideal for you. If you have a big family, consider steel framed above ground pools as they are strong and hard to collapse. Ideal size for big family above ground pools should be approximately 18 by 36 feet. Considering such factors will help you to determine the type and size of the above ground pool that is best for your backyard.
- First, determine why you need a pool. If you need a pool to just cool off, a small, round pool is ideal for your backyard and if it’s for smaller family of less than 6 users, 16 by 32 foot pool is ideal for you. If you have a big family, consider steel framed above ground pools as they are strong and hard to collapse. Ideal size for big family above ground pools should be approximately 18 by 36 feet. However, if you need it for exercise laps, a larger, rectangular/oval pool with 30 foot minimum is ideal for you.
- Second, survey your yard. Identify the area that will accommodate the pool. Consider your selected spot’s proximity to your home. Consider the extra space that your pool will need. That is, creating a room for expansion or setting up things like fencing. If you have limited backyard space, consider a small, round inflatable ground pool of 14 by 25 foot by average is best for you as it occupies less space.
What To Consider When Choosing The Best Above Ground Pool ?
Would you like to buy the best above ground pool today? There are many factors that you should consider. To start with, these pools come in a variety of models, prices, sizes, and so forth. If you are a first-timer, you might be spoilt for choice when buying this pool. The good news is that we have compiled a number of factors that you should consider when buying this pool. Some of these factors include:
How Much Space Do You Have In Your Backyard?
If you want to install an above ground pool, you must ensure that you have enough space for it. Like we have mentioned above, these pools come in a variety of sizes. Some models are large, while others are small in size. For optimal results, you should first take the dimensions of your backyard and use these details to choose the right size for your home.
Ideally, the pool should not take the entire space of your backyard. Instead, it should leave some space where one can walk around and so forth. You can even hire an expert to take the dimensions for you so that you can choose the one that truly fits well in your backyard.
Cost Of Above Ground Pool
Besides the size of the backyard, you have to consider the costs involved when buying this model. This is because different models have different prices. If you go for a higher-end model, you should be ready to part with more money.
However, if you go for an ordinary model, you might be able to save a few bucks. For optimal results, you can shop around and compare different prices out there. If you are rational enough, you will be able to get the value for your money.
Shape of The Pool
Since different above ground pools come in a plethora of shapes, you might be confused about which one to consider and which one to leave. However, the common shapes that you are likely to find out there include square, rectangular, round, oval, and so on.
If you choose square or rectangular above ground pools , you can be sure that they will provide the much-needed usable pool space. Oval pools are good, only that they need extra structural support on their sides so as to prevent them from bulging. Round pools, on the other hand, are good only that they have fewer seams.
Depth of The Pool
Depth of the pool is another critical factor that you should consider when buying this pool. However, this solely depends on who uses the pool. If the pool is being used by young children, it should be a bit shallow.
To put it into perspective, it should be 1 or 2 inches deep. Other models are usually 4 inches deep. Such models are ideal for kids as they are less likely to drown. However, the pool is meant for older swimmers, it can be deeper than that. In fact, some models have a depth of up to 52 inches. Therefore, you should consider who uses the pool so that you can choose a model that has the right depth.
Ease of installation
Some above ground pools are easy to install, while others need more time for you to install them. For instance, inflatable pools are quite easy to install. In fact, with a pump, you can easily inflate them in less than 10 minutes.
Other models, such as those made of resins, need more time as you have to level the ground well enough. Also, sand has to be laid down to reduce the chances of the pool getting punctured. All these undertakings need more time, and you have to create time for them. Besides requiring more time, you might need more than 3 adults to get the work done.
Ease of Maintenance
Your pool of choice needs to be maintained from time to time so that it can remain in pristine condition. The good news is that small, inflatable pools are generally easy to maintain. You just need to empty these pools after use, and you will be good to go.
However, there are some pools that need more water for them to fill up. Although this water should fill up to 90%, you might need a pump and a number of filters for water circulation and debris removal.
Besides this, you might need to perform some shock treatments from time to time so as to keep algae and other harmful microorganisms at bay. Finally, you need to test the chlorine and pH levels from time to time. Such pools are good, only that you have to maintain them every now and then.
Is it portable?
One advantage of having an above-ground pool is that it is more portable. This means that you can easily transfer it from one location to another. For optimal results, you should go for a model that is more portable. This way, you will enjoy more convenience as you can take it with you anywhere you, please.
Where To Buy Best Above Ground Pool ?
There are a number of trusted companies and virtual platforms that sell top rated best above ground pools out there. Some of these places are;
Amos Pool Company
Found in Houston, Texas, this company sells both in-ground and above ground pools. It has been operating for more than 40 years thus known for reliability and experience. The company has sold thousands of models of above ground pools thus highly recommended. Besides selling, they have a number of experienced and professional crew to help in installation of the pool.
Dave’s Pool Sales And Service, Inc
This is another reliable place to buy above ground pool. They have specialized in steel, aluminum ground pools, and other types of above ground pools that come in excellent packages to ensure you acquire both quality and cost-efficient pools. They also sell a number of accessories to use along with your pool.
From Amazon online store, you can also buy a variety of above ground pool models at different prices. The good news is, you can read reviews from previous users before going ahead to purchase your preferred pool. This helps you to buy a reliable product without wasting your money. Another great advantage of amazon is that once you buy the product, they will ship or deliver it at the comfort of your home.
You can also buy an above ground pool from Walmart in-stores or virtual website walmart.com. These stores sell a variety of types and models of above ground pools giving you a wide range of options to choose from. For further details, visit their site to know more about buying above ground pools from Walmart.
How To Get Financing For Above Ground Pool ?
Although above ground pools are relatively cheaper compared to in ground pools, they are pocket straining too many. As a result, a number of financing companies came forward to provide financial help and offers for above ground pool buyers. As we all know, loan financing has never been easy. At times, finding a genuine lender can he hectic. Therefore, we lifted the load and compiled for you the best financing options for above ground pool.
With PayPal Credit, you can enjoy ‘buy now pay later’ above ground swimming pools with no interest rate and instant approval over your loan request. This happens on the condition that you can clear your loan within 6 months with a monthly payment of $99+.
PayPal Credit has partnered with online pool companies like eBay, Ezz pools, and Kmart among others. All you need to do is;
- Visit any of the above mentioned online companies (EBay, Kmart, etc.)
- From the companies, shop your preferred pool and select PayPal credit as your payment method.
- Answer the question that follows and accept their terms.
- Within seconds, your ‘buy now pay later’ pool request will be approved.
Besides paying in cash, Walmart also offers above ground pool financing option. This company allows you to buy your above ground pool and credit and pay over time using your Walmart card or Walmart layaway.
Did you know that it’s also possible to buy above ground pool from amazon on credit and pay later in installments with no interest? While there is no direct pool financing option from amazon, you can achieve this through the Klarna app. All you need to do is;
- Download Klarna app and search ‘Amazon’ through the app.
- Next, shop your preferred above ground pool and add to cart.
- Open the checkout page and select ‘’pay with K’’ as your payment option.
- The app will split your total payout bill into 4 installments that should be paid every two weeks.
Accessories You Need For An Above Ground Swimming Pool
Above Ground Automatic Pool Cleaners
It’s very clear that no one likes swimming in a dirty swimming pool. Besides, if you don’t clean your swimming pool regularly, this can result in clogging or even destruction of the pool. This is why we greatly recommend pool owners to buy pool cleaners. Normally, pool cleaners are available in three different categories; pressure side cleaners, suction side cleaners, and robotic vacuums. Although robotic vacuums above ground pool cleaners are the easiest to use amongst the three, all of them are still very efficient and reliable when it comes to keeping your pool clean.
Above Ground Pool Heater
Don’t let cold temperatures refrain you from taking a couple of laps in the pool. This makes pool heater a very crucial accessory. If you love swimming at night, a best pool heater will definitely give you a better experience by keeping water warm all through.
Note that pool heater also comes in three different categories; an electric heater, a solar heater, and a gas heater. Amongst these three heaters, the electric heater is the cheapest option and super easy to acquire and maintain. The other two are very expensive to acquire let alone maintain.
Pool lights are also important accessories that are used to bring liveliness into your swimming pool. Apart from that, safety is also another cardinal role that pool lights play. If you are a night adventurer, you cannot swim well at night if your swimming pool is not well lighted. This makes pool lights a must-have accessory.
There are different types of lights that you can use for your swimming pool. You can put white bulbs, rainbow hues, or even LED lights. In fact, LED lights are very common in swimming pools as they are very durable and easy to maintain.
Above Ground Pool Liner Pad
Swimming pool liners are very essential for any swimming pool. Unfortunately, they don’t last long if not well maintained. To prolong their lifespan, pool liner pads are so effective. These pads are usually placed between the swimming pool liner and the ground. They protect your pool liners from most common sources of damage including roots and rocks.
Above Ground Pool Covers
A pool cover is definitely another important accessory that you must-have for your swimming pool. They perform very vital roles that other pool accessories don’t. This includes:
- Cleanliness: it helps to keep your pool from dirt, leaves, insects or debris. It also improves the longevity of your pool.
- Accident prevention- This is definitely one of the most important roles that a swimming pool cover plays. For instance, if children are left outside unattended, it keeps them off from falling and drowning inside the pool.
Of course, swimming can never be more fun unless it’s summer. Nonetheless, swimming during sunny days has its own share of perils. It’s during such seasons that people get sunburns all over their bodies.
If you want to have a good swimming experience during summer, this is your must have accessory. It shades the pool from harmful sun rays thus protecting your skin as well as maintain chlorine effect in the pool.
Who said you can’t have a couple of drinks as you swim around your pool. Nowadays you can buy buoyant drink holders to hold your drinks as you swim around. These drink holders are usually inflatable for easier storage. Actually they are very ideal for occasions such as pool parties and hang out with friends in the pool.
Waterproof Bluetooth Speakers
Indeed where there is music there’s liveliness. Swimming around your pool can never be more fun with music around. Therefore, these are cool accessories that will brighten your swimming experience. These speakers are Bluetooth enabled thus wirelessly connected to the source of music without the need for cables. They also have floating features that make you enjoy music luxury in the pool without malfunctioning the speakers.
Tips To Installation Above Ground Pool
Unexpectedly, pandemic struck on us limiting vacations and outdoor luxurious activities. This forced people to stay at home. As a result, people are greatly investing in backyard pools to keep them busy at home. It is important to know and follow some vital tips before going ahead to install an above ground pool in your backyard. On this page, we have covered these tips for you as seen below.
1. Understand The Type Of Pool
Before installing your above ground pool, first, understand your pool type. This is because some pools are easy to install while others require skills or professionals. Therefore, understanding your type of pool will help you know whether you will DIY it or you need to hire a PRO. For instance, if your pool type is inflatable pools, these pools are so easy to install and require no professional. However, if you are dealing with semi- in ground above ground pool, then a professional should be hired.
2. Check Out Your Electrical Needs
This is another important tip to installation of above ground pools. Typical, above ground pools use water pumps that require electricity to pump and fill water in the pool. Therefore, ensure all your electrical appliances are effective in your new pool.
3. Keenly Select Your Spot
Note that this doesn’t only entail choosing your site and leveling it. This goes beyond that! This is where you need to check other factors like underground septic tanks, underground utility lines, or nearby slopes. It is required to avoid any area with these factors within. Also, choose a site with partial shade and partial sunlight to enjoy both warm and cool swimming.
4. Site Preparation
Once you identify your spot, prepare it. This entails;
- Locate and mark where the pool will have its center point.
- With a string, measure the circumference of your pool and add six inches on top.
- Spray to mark your pool’s perimeter.
- Level the marked perimeter. Make sure you level your site thoroughly using a straight board for optimal results.
5. Assemble Your Pool
When your ground is well leveled, now assemble your pool.
- Here, you start by assembling the bottom wall rim of the pool above the circumference of your pool area to form a ring.
- Inside your ring, place a 4 inch layer of soft sand.
- Attach the walls of the pool on the bottom rims.
- Add pool liner floor pad and install the pool liner with the center of the pool as your starting point.
- Anchor the pool’s side wall liners and attach the upper top rail to form the pool
- Fill water in the pool halfway and install both the skimmer and return fittings.
- Connect your filter and pump and fill in water in the pool.
How Do You Winterize Above Ground Pool ?
Winterizing your above ground pools simply means closing it during the coldest winter season when no one is likely to go swimming. This is to protect its room contaminations and other cold damages like rust and molds on delicate components. To do this;
- Gather all your pool winterizing essentials. These include, winterizing chemical kit, above ground pool winter cover, cover clips, pool air pillow, return line plugs and expansion plugs among others.
- Using a pool vacuum cleaner, thoroughly clean your pool. This will balance your water property and ensure no dirt or algae left behind to cause molds when the pool is dormant.
- Add winterizing chemicals to balance your water PH and prevent damage to your pool liner and other pool parts. Also, add a pool shock to power your pool sanitizer and winter algaecide that keeps off algae from invading.
- Clear and disconnect the lines to let out water. Later let them dry and store well in a dry place.
- Remove the pool’s skimmer basket and store it in a dry and safe place to protect it for winter.
- Winterize the pump and filter to drain them. Later, store in a safe and dry place
- Clean all other accessories like pool ladder and store them away from sunlight in a safe and dry place.
- Lower your pools water level slightly below the skimmer and returns. It’s advised not to completely dry water from your above ground pool when winterizing. This is to protect the pol’s vinyl liner.
- Install a pool air pillow to keep remaining water or debris away from the sides of the pool. This also protects your pool walls and cover from ice.
- Cover your pool. This is the last stage that requires you to place a pool cover above your pool and air pool. Later, hold it in place using your winter cover clip and cable.
People also ask
Can You Install An Above Ground Pool Yourself?
Yes. More than you think, installing an above ground pool is quite easier. If your pool spot needs slight excavation to level it, then the rest of the process is easier. Also, most above ground pools come with installation guide that makes the process easier. However, if there is a lot of work needed to level your ground, you might need to hire a professional.
How Long Do Above Ground Pools Last?
Standard high quality above ground pools can last for 8 to 15 years on average. However, this depends on a number of factors. If the pool is well maintained it can extend up to 20 years. When the pool is mismanaged, it is most likely to wear and tear sooner than expected.
Should I Cover My Above Ground Pool Every Night?
Yes or no. Covering your pool is very crucial as it protects it from dust, leaves or debris. Covering it every night is also important as it will prevent heat loss and keep the pool warm till morning. However, there is no rule than you must cover your pool every night! I mean, there is no harm in leaving your pool uncovered for one night. However, if you can cover every night, the better!
How Often Should You Change The Water In An Above Ground Pool?
Changing above ground pool water should be determined by how well you maintain your pool. If you keep monitoring your water PH now and then and ensure your pool filtration system working thoroughly, then you should drain your above ground pool twice a year. However, if you only rely on chlorine to maintain your pool, it is advisable to change the water after two weeks. If you don’t use chlorine or anything at all, drain your water after two days to avoid unhealthy contamination.
How Much Does It Cost To Install An Above Ground Pool?
This entirely depends on the type of pool, size, width, professional installation fee among others. However, the national average price estimation of installing above ground pool is $ 2693 with a minimum price estimation of $475 and a maximum of$ 13400.
How Much Does It Cost To Maintain Above Ground Pool?
The size of the pool is a key determinant of the average maintenance fee of an above ground pool. However, maintaining an above ground pool can cost you $ 115 per month on average. Note that this excludes electricity bill to pump, filter and heat the pool which is estimated to range from $ 30 to $250 in a month.
What Size Pump Do I Need For My Above Ground Pool?
This depends on the size of your pool and the amount of water gallons that the pool holds. For instance, if your pool is less than 24 ft. and holds less than 15,300 gallons of water, your ideal pump size is 1 HP. On the other hand, if your pool is above 24ft with more than 15,300 water gallons, you should use 1.5 HP water pump size.
Do I Need A Filter Pump For Above Ground Pool?
Yes. Installing above ground pool without a filter pump is rendering your pool useless. In other words, a filter pump is one of the most essential components in an above ground pool as it helps to remove dirt, insects, and leaves from the pool to keep it clean. It also eases chemical distribution in the pool to fight bacteria.
How Do I Keep My Above Ground Pool Cool In The Summer?
Pools are meant to cool and refresh you during hot weather conditions. However, pool water normally heats up during summer making your swimming experience less fun. The good news is that there are a number of ways to make your pool cool during summer. These are;
- Use a mechanical evaporative chiller: this is an air conditioner that uses fans to cool off the pool
- Shade your pool: this will protect your pool from direct sunlight and keep it cool throughout.
- Use reverse heat pump: these are pool heaters with temperature controls and uses refrigerants to act as an air conditioner when the pool’s temperature is high.
- Drain and refill the pool: this is the last option that you should consider only when other options fail. This is because it is a short term remedy and puts all your pool chemicals into waste.
How Often Should I Use Chlorine In My Above Ground Pool?
This is determined by a number of factors. For instance, if your pool is normally exposed to direct sunlight, you should use chorine every day because UV rays from direct sunlight degrade the effect of chlorine in the water. Also, if your pool is prone to insects, leaves, or dirt, you should use chlorine as often as possible.
Another factor is how often you use your pool. If you use it several days in a week, you should use chlorine for 2 to 3 days weekly. If you don’t use your pool as much, perhaps only once in a week, you should use chlorine once weekly. This is because too much chlorine in the pool can also cause some rashes or eye irritation.